Dominican Republic Marriage Requirements
The information below outlines the marriage requirements for getting married in Dominican Republic
- No waiting period
- No blood test
- Two witnesses required
- US citizens are required to write to the American Consulate in Santo.Domingo requesting permission to marry
- Parties must be at least 18 years of age to marry
- original birth certificate,
- single status affidavit in Spanish for each party, joint affidavits not acceptable. These must be notarized and state wether the bride or groom has ever been married, divorced, or widowed.
- divorce decree or death certificate for partner in Spanish.
- According to Dominican Law a divorced woman has to wait 10 months before remarrying unless she is marrying the same man she divorced or she was divorced under special DR law. Then the ruling is a waiting period of 24 hours.
US$60 - $100 depending upon judge.
(Spanish documents can be prepared by the Dominican consulate nearest your residence.)
Most hotels have wedding coordinators on site to help you, however, be warned, they like to receive paperwork at least 15 days in advance to prepare for your wedding.
You will be given a document that proves the wedding took place after the ceremony. You then need to request a marriage certificate from the local Justice of the Peace. The document issued by the Justice of the Peace is a valid marriage certificate anywhere in the world.
The registrar's office should be contacted for specific rules regarding planning your destination or beach wedding in Dominican Republic. They will also provide information regarding marriage licenses and marriage certificates.
Visit the Dominican Republic Wedding Directory